Interesting Facts About Tamil Cinema: Tamil Cinema which is also know for Kollywood is currently ruling the Indian film industry with its distinct stories and realistic approach in showcasing the life of a common man. Moreover, Tamil Cinema has given an amazing acting talent to India, Sivaji Ganesshan, Kamal Hassan, Suriya, Vikram, Dhanush hails from this industry. Also, filmmakers like K. Balachander, Bharathi Raja, Bhagyaraj, Balu Mahendra, Maniratnam, Shankar, Muragadoss, Mysskin and others tailored their film-making skills with Tamil Cinema.
Not only actors and Directors, this film industry has also given amazing technically talented personalities like Ilayaraja, AR Rahman, PC Sreeram and others. If you are searching for some interesting facts of Tamil Cinema, then we are here to help you. Take a look into the some of the Interesting Facts About Tamil Cinema.
Some Interesting Facts About Tamil Cinema
#History of Tamil Cinema
- The first silent film in Tamil was created by Nataraja R. Mudaliar. He made ‘Keechaka Vadham’ in 1916
- The first talkie in Tamil was H.M.Reddy’s Kalidas in 1931. It had a cast consisting of P.G.Venkatesan, T.P. Rajalakshmi, and M.S.Sabthanalakshmi. Folklores,
- A.Narayanan’s 1934 film Srinivasa Kalyanam was the first Tamil talkie .
- The first female director and producer of Tamil cinema was T.P Rajalakshmi .
- Chinthamani in 1937 was the first Tamil film to run for more than a year in a single cinema house.
- Stardom in Tamil films had its birth in the thirties itself. The first female superstar of Tamil cinema was K.B.Sundarambal, that year itself she got 1lakh rupees for her film.
- Nam Iruvar was the first production venture of AVM Productions was established in 1945. It is the largest and oldest production studio in India.
- Annadurai (Writer for Tamil Movies), went on to become the chief minister of Tamilnadu in 1967
- 50’s and 60’s of Tamil Cinema was ruled by M.G.Ramachandran(M.G.R), Sivaji Ganesan and Gemini Ganesan
- Nadigar Thilakam Sivaji Ganesan entered film world in 1952
- By the late sixties Tamil cinema witnessed the screenwriter, and director K.Balachander, He concentrated mainly in village side themes.
- By the late seventies three more directors were witnessed K.Bharathiraja, Balu Mahendra and K.Bhagyaraj.
- The mid-late seventies and early eighties actors Kamal Haasan and Rajinikanth witnessed by Tamil cinema.
- In 80’s there was a special mention of directors like Mani Ratnam, S.A.Chandrasekhar, Manivannan, T.Rajender, Vikraman, R.K.Selvamani, Santhana Bharathi, K.S.Ravikumar, Mani Ratnam and S.Shankar among the others.
- S.Shankar is known for his excellent treatment of commercial cinema and has won accolades for his films like Gentleman, Kadhalan, Indian, Jeans, Mudhalvan, Boys, Anniyan and Sivaji:The Boss
- Mani Ratnam had scripted and directed critically and commercially successful films like Mouna Raagam, Nayagan, Agni Natchathiram, Anjali,etc.
- In the 90’s actors like Aravind Swamy, Vijay, Ajith, Prasanth, Prabhu Deva, Surya and Madhvan entered Tamil industry.
- Tamil cinema has produced some of the most talented music directors are Ilayaraja and A.R.Rahman, Harris Jayaraj, Deva, Yuvan Shankar Raja, Devi Sri Prasad, Vidyasagar and Srikanth Deva.
Tamil Cinema has own several awards including National and International awards. Movies like Nayakan, Thevar Magan, Kuruthipunal, Indian, Jeans, Hey Ram, Visaranai, Soorarai Pottru are the India’s official entry into Oscars from Tamil Cinema.
# Box Office
Tamil Cinema has an excellent Box Office records in India as well as Outside India. Rajinikanth and Vijay are considered as the Box Office kings of Tamil Cinema. However, movies of Kamal Hassan, Ajith, Maniratnam, Suriya, Shankar, Muragadoss, Atlee also has high expectations and excellent track records. Rajinikanth’s Muthu was dubbed into Japan and grossed a record $1.6 million in 1998. In the year 2010, Enthiran grossed a record $4 million in North America. Similalrly, Vijay’s Master grossed 260 Crore worldwide during the pandemic of 2021. ‘Master’ is being called a ‘messiah film’ for bringing audiences back to cinema halls in India.
# Interesting Facts About Tamil Cinema
- Tamil Cinema has Blockbuster films in which Heroes died in the end which is completely opposite to its sibling “Telugu Cinema”.
- Velu Naicker in Naayakan was arguably one of the most epic performances as a don in Tamil cinema history and also on Indian Canvas.
- Vikram, Suriya, Karthi, Dhanush, Vijay, Ajith, Vijay Antony proved with their films in other states like Andhra, Telangana and Kerala
- Shankar, Maniratnam and Muragadoss has PAN Indian popularity as directors
- A rustic, gritty and hard-hitting performance by Suriya in Nandha and Pithamagan that showed the stellar acting prowess of the star.
- Suriya and Karthi both the brothers has a big stardom in Tollywood, equivalent to a Telugu big Hero
- The world class musicians Ilayaraja, Ar Rahman are from Tamil Cinema
- SPB sung more songs in Tamil than in Telugu
- Vadivelu, Goundamani, Vivek, Kovai Sarala and Santhanam are the most successful comedians in India till date
- India’s Dancing King Prabhu Deva is from Tamil film industry
- Tamil politics are highly relied on Cinema and artists